VMware Server 2.0 Beta
Embrace your ability to get more—for Free. VMware Server equips you with a stable, easy to use, free virtualization platform ideal for organizations wanting to consolidate multiple servers down to few and simplify the headaches and expense of server provisioning.
This newer beta version offers the capabilities from before, plus an array of new features—including a broader range of guest operating system support, an intuitive Web-based management interface, and increased memory for greater scalability. With over 3 million downloads worldwide, VMware Server continues to innovate to provide users with a superior introductory experience to virtualization—for Free.
* Web-based management interface: A new Web-based user interface provides a simple, flexible, intuitive and productive way for you to manage your virtual machines.
* Expanded operating system support: VMware Server now supports Windows Vista Business Edition and Ultimate Edition (guest only), Windows Server 2008 (Longhorn Server Beta 3), Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and Ubuntu 7.1, among others.
* Greater scalability: Take full advantage of high-end hardware with support for up to 8GB of RAM per virtual machine, up to two virtual SMP (vSMP) processors and up to 64 virtual machines per host.
* 64-bit guest operating system support: Run high-performance operating systems in virtual machines with support for Intel EM64T VT-enabled processors and AMD64 processors with segmentation support.
* Support for VIX API 1.2: This feature provides a programming interface for automating virtual machine and guest operations.
* Support for Virtual Machine Interface (VMI): This feature enables transparent paravirtualization, in which a single binary version of the operating system can run either on native hardware or in paravirtualized mode.
* Support for USB 2.0 devices: Transfer data at faster data rates from USB 2.0 devices.