Beryl 0.2.0 Released
Beryl 0.2.0 is a complete overhaul of Beryl. The last stable release 0.1, featured a very fun, and eye-candy based compositing window manager. However, since it’s release, many parts of beryl have been rewritten, replaced, or simply dropped. The Beryl team has put in numerous hours to bring you this release. It’s filled with fun, eye-candy, better user support, new features, and most of all, stability. While Beryl has had numerous developer releases, known by their 0.1.X versions, 0.2.0 has been throughly tested by many more users.
As Beryl has become more well known, our userbase has expanded exponentially. Because of this, we’ve had more bug reports than ever. So thank you to all of you who have helped us on this path. And thank you to all of those who have made Beryl possible.
During the last year, Beryl has gone through a number of incidents. Users have argued about Beryl and Compiz for a long time now. With this release, Beryl has taken a giant step apart from Compiz. While some things are similar, which is inevitable in a fork, many things are not. We at Beryl believe that starting with the 0.3 development phase, many more things will be come clearer in regards to Beryl. We are setting our focus on organization, improving user relations, making the software more bug free, and overall more fun for you!
So without further ado, I give you Beryl 0.2.0!
* New Plugins
- Thumbnail: Thumbnails on the taskbar (window list) which show a mini view of the actual window
- Snap: Allows windows to “snap” to each other, or provide edge resistance
- Opacify: Makes windows behind the active window transparent
- Group: Allows windows to be group, to easily switch between a set of windows
* New system requirements check
- The improved check has much better accuracy
- The check is a lot faster
* New Window Decorators
- Since 0.1, we have two new window decorators
- Heliodor: Uses metacity themes
- Aquamarine: Uses Kwin themes.
* Newly Rewritten Beryl-Settings
- Written in Python
- More user-friendly UI
- Better profile support
* New Translations
- Thanks to all of our foreign speaking users, we’ve had a much better time getting translations
in, and completed. So thank you!
All this and much, much more! So please enjoy,
- The Beryl Team