Mandriva Linux 2007 Beta version "Mona" Released
Linux 2007 Mona is the first release candidate for the Mandriva Linux 2007 release. Summary of most important changes in each set of ISO files released can be found in the ChangeLog.
This release candidate is available via two means. Firstly via the public FTP and HTTP sites mirroring the Mandriva Linux repository. Check the current development mirrors at CookerMirrors, the 2007 Beta tree is in /devel/2007.0/. Second, the preferred way, via either the provided One CDs (installable live CDs), or the intallation DVD or the two set of three CDs installation CDs for i586 and x86_64. You will find the live CDs and the installation CDs and DVD in the same mirrors as the cooker one, in the /devel/iso/2007.0/ section.
* Anti-aliasing may not be correctly activated into KDE, you must use kcontrol to force it
* Ia_Ora may not be selected by default under KDE, you must have the package ia_ora-kde and ia_ora-kde-kwin installed and activated in kcontrol-> Style
* rpmdrake is not uninstalling packages correctly
* bluetooth pairing does not work unless you install the bluez-gnome package and run 'btapplet'
* you must run the command 'hciconfig hci0 piscan' as root to make your bluetooth adapter discoverable by other devices
* text install does not work
WARNING: Some One CDs have non-free (proprietary) drivers included, if you do not want to use non free software, be careful to only use the ISO images with the 'free' keyword included in their name.
The non-free drivers included are intended for hardware which cannot work properly without proprietary drivers or firmware. These devices include (but are not limited to) video cards, network cards and modems. If you do not want to be obliged to use proprietary drivers to run your computer properly, you should be careful to choose hardware which is officially supported by free drivers.
Changes from 2007 beta 2
* New Ia Ora Theme also available under KDE
* New backgrounds integrated
* The network module b44 should be fixed
* The default web page for the web browser should display correctly
* Proprietary drivers (especially nvidia) should be installed and activated correctly
* Dozens of miscellaneous bugs fixed
Changes from 2006
* New 3D desktop support (both with AIGLX and Xgl) and new tool to configure it (drak3d), also in the One CDs
* GNOME 2.16
* Kernel 2.6.17 (based on 126.96.36.199, with ALSA 1.0.12 rc2, i965 support, and new kernel factorization: normal, enterprise and legacy)
* KDE 3.5.4
* New 'Ia Ora' Mandriva theme
* New VPN configuration tool (drakvpn)
* New tool to configure a redundant firewall with ucarp (invictus-firewall)
Mandriva Linux 2007 Beta One CDs
There are thirteen different editions of the One CD for this beta, each of which contains a different selection of supported languages. Most languages must appear both in the GNOME and KDE CDs, however some languages are only in the KDE CD because their input method require KDE. You can find a list indicating which languages are included on each edition in the following description. However, once the live CD is installed, you have the possibility to add new languages if you configure an external Mandriva Linux 2007 urpmi source. The installation DVD contains all the languages, and the CDs contain what space permit, extra language pack can be found on the public FTP mirrors.
Including as many languages as possible is very important to promote Linux use in every country. If you are interested in helping improve support for your own language, please consult TranslationTask. We will do our best to find a way to create at least one version of a Mandriva Linux product which includes support for your language.
One CDs include most of the needed stuff for a complete office and internet desktop, OpenOffice.org, Mozilla Firefox, 3D desktop (XGL and AIGLX with Compiz), network and hardware configuration tools and drivers (the free version only includes free drivers).